Knowledge is limited?

 Can we see what a bare human eye cannot see?
We may say that we do it right now, but in reality we don't. If a bare human eye can't see a particular thing then scientists and engineers cooperate to invent a technology that will enable humans to do so. Miroscopes, telescopes- they were produced to enable humans to see what is not possible to be seen for a human eye. But is it possible for humans to gain knowledge in sciences when they cannot actually see a phenomenon?

 There are scientists that claim a possible knowledge claims without actually seeing a phenomenon, however, it is never called a fact. Even apart from sciences, in every day life people usually do not believe if they have not seen that. For example, 2 weeks ago when the US elections ended I was at school and my friend told me that Donald Trump won the elections. I could not believe that. Even though I knew he was a strong candidate, but the media that I was surrounded, social media, celebrities talking about their presidential choices I was really convinced that he has no chance of winning. So when one of my best friends told me that, even that she was one of my best friends still in my mind I was not so convinced about this statement to be true. Instantly I take out my phone and checked the news. This perfectly shows how a human has a need of seeing the proofs.

Seeing is believing.

We might think that when we see something that it is true. But really often our sense perception can lie to us. Like in the optical illusions, we see that someone is levitating but at the same time we know that for now it is impossible for a human to levitate. Thus, seeing is believing do not apply here. So how can we define what is real and what is not? Is knowledge limited to thing we can see or is there knowledge that will never be accessible for a human eye? Can we call this unseen knowledge really knowledge? All those questions, I think, we can sum up to simple one: what is knowledge? Because the definition is the key. If we decide to limit knowledge to things we can see or feel are we limiting our world then? And if we decide to not limit the knowledge and just adjust the thinking that we will never be able to fully comprehend the world around us, then is there any sense of acquiring knowledge when we do not know if our senses are not lying to us in that moment?


 I suppose that the answer lies between those two extreme ideas. We, as humans, for now, cannot see and feel that is beyond our sense perception however we can speculate and on the basis of our current knowledge and what we actually can see.

I'll see you next week,
Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unseen knowledge

Why we might never find all the answers

Am I an expert?