Am I limited by my own language?

    But really, am I? On my last ToK classes we are discussing a lot about the language. How language affects our world's view and our beliefs, the problems with translations and meaning of the words ect. So as I heard about those obstacles and problems that language is, I started wondering (because on my classes we also talked about different languages and untranslatable words) about limitations that I have because of speaking my native language. Is my mother's tongue a set of beliefs and emotions of my forefathers? Because the language I am using now, was once invented and words were made up to express certain feelings and needs. Of course it is always changing and current society is adapting the language to its needs. However, the past can still affect language. For example, if the country was once full of farmers, then in the language may exist more farmer's words in comparison to, for example, to country in which the majority of citizens work as miners. 
   Following this path of thought, we might assume that for some people certain feelings, needs ect. might be describable whereas for others, who speak in different language those needs, in the past and for the past society of that country, was no so important or necessary, so now there is no word to describe it. Giving the example of the word mamihlapinatapai ( a word from Terra del Fuegan). I assume that we all know that feeling when we stand in the front of somebody in hope that the other person will offer to do something which both sides much desire done but which neither is willing to. This is the feeling that this ''weird'' word describes, Thus, the question occurs: well, assuming that most of people experienced that feeling and those people re from various cultures, then why in English or Spanish there is no similar word? Maybe people in the past and now do not feel like it is really important to have such a expression? Maybe they do not even think that such words would be able to exist? Or maybe they have never thought of describing that feeling in one word? We just feel it and we do not need to have a word for that, some may assume.
   So on the one hand it may be assumed that people are limited by their own language because they do not describe some situations, feeling ect. so they do not even notice them. However, every human, even from the same environment or culture is different and have different needs. Thus, we cannot demand from ourselves to notice every little thing, because it is not possible, at least for our short lives. And also this is what fascinate me in language and cultures, that by studying languages and societies we can widen our perspectives and see others needs and how they perceive the same word.

I will see you soon,
at least I hope so,
Alicja

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unseen knowledge

Why we might never find all the answers

Am I an expert?